Cleaning at the end of a lease is a tedious task. Renters must leave the property clean and tidy or risk losing their bond. Many renters hire professional cleaners to do the job right.
Cleaning businesses of all types have a great opportunity to offer end-of-lease cleaning services. It is important to remember that these cleaning jobs are subject to extreme scrutiny from both the landlords and the (former tenants). Cleaning businesses must guarantee that they will return to clean the job if it isn’t satisfied. This is why it is important to do this from the beginning.
Your primary goal as a cleaner is to clean well. It would be best if you had a variety of cleaning products and methods. Some tenants only need a vacuum to clean the carpets. However, if you don’t have the right equipment to clean the rest of the house (e.g. the bathroom and kitchen), you could lose out on a lucrative and steady business.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN END-OF-LEASE CLEANING
You should, at a minimum, be able to offer the following services for tenants and landlords
- Stain Removal – This is especially important for carpets. There’s always a spillage of wine or coffee at the end of a tenant’s tenure.
- Doors – Even though doors are often heavily used, they can get very dirty with hand stains.
- Window and wall cleaning – Presentation is everything. Windows and walls will be seen first. Don’t forget about the screens.
- Heating and AC duct cleaning – While we may not check them as often as needed, a thorough clean is essential for hygiene reasons.
- Toilets and bathrooms – Everyone wants a clean, germ-free environment without odours, mould or soap scum.
- Laundry- The laundry is often overlooked by tenants and can accumulate dust and lint.
- Kitchen – Tenants will need professional cleaners because it is often difficult for common cleaning products to do a good job and remove all the dirt and grime that a kitchen accumulates.
What kind of equipment should I be looking at?
You will need access to many different cleaners to complete these tasks.
- Vacuums It is essential to select the best vacuum to do the job. It is a good idea, aside from a backpack or standard upright vacuum, to be able to handle many different situations.
- Polishers and scrubbers – To properly clean floors.
- Vacuums – A vacuum may not be sufficient to get a deep clean. This is where the vacuum will not be enough.
- Pressure washers and steamers – To remove dirt and grime.
- Floor stripping machine This heavy-duty machine is perfect for restoring floors using vinyl, glued carpet and cork.
It would be best if you had the right cleaning solutions and liquids in addition to the hardware.
- carpet pre-sprays
- tile cleaners
What should you charge for this kind of service?
The end of lease cleaning is a very costly business. There are many competitors for the same services, whether small businesses or large corporations.
Although it can be tempting to undercut competitors, the good news is this industry is one where quality does sell. Before deciding on a cleaner, consumers will review reviews online. When their entire bond is at stake (often thousands or more), they’d rather spend hours cleaning than invest in a quality service.
This means that you can charge a flat rate. The norm is a standard flat rate of $250 for a house with two bedrooms. These houses typically have one kitchen, living room and bathroom and a laundry area to clean. A larger house will require you to charge extra. For example, a 3 bedroom house would cost $400.
Alternately, an hourly rate of $30-50 is the norm if you charge for your services. This type of service should be avoided. Tenants will expect you to work faster if you charge an hourly rate. You’ll also likely earn less if you pay a flat fee.
RECEIVE A GUARANTEE AT THE END OF YOUR LEASE CLEANING
It is standard practice to offer a “bondback guarantee” to tenants who use your services. This guarantees that you will clean the property again if the landlord has any concerns. Without it, you are unlikely to be hired for this cleaning service.
End of lease cleaning is a great way to establish a good reputation and build your brand. It is important to have the right equipment and an eye for cleanliness.